Understanding Subterranean Termites Facts, Identification, Characteristics – Subterranean termites are social insects, this means that they live in family groups called colonies. Unlike other insects (Example: grasshoppers or cockroaches), termite in the colony performs a particular task that benefits the colony as a whole.
Subterranean termites are also known for the most destructive insect pests of wood and cause billions of dollars in damage each year in the United States.
Understanding Subterranean Termites Facts, Identification, Characteristics
Identification Subterranean Termites
Queen, Soldiers and Workers
Characteristics Subterranean Termites
Subterranean termites nest in the ground and infest wood directly in contact with the soil or by construction of mud tubes within or out the nest which they travel to food sources. Subterranean termites feed on any objects containing cellulose (Example: oak, soft wood, pine wood, plants, paper, cotton) and like moisture areas, but are discouraged by water saturated soil.
Eastern Subterranean termites
The Eastern Subterranean termites is widely distributed in the eastern half of North America from gulf coast to Montana and from Florida to Maine. Eastern Subterranean termites swarms from February to May while in Florida, they swarm in between October and February.
Western Subterranean termites
The Western Subterranean termites is widely distributed in the western half of North America from Washington to southern California and into Idaho and Nevada. In Washington, they generally swarms in spring. In California, they will swarm in winter, autumn and early spring.
Quick Facts Subterranean termites
– Subterranean termites are the most destructive termite species. Over time, they can collapse a building entirely.
– Subterranean termites are a world-wide problem. (Example: Canada, China, Africa, Australia, Mexico and others).
– Subterranean termites prefer soil temperatures between 84° and 90° F.
– The Development from eggs to adults may take more than 5months.
– King and Queen can live for 10 to 30 years, while workers may live for 2 to 5 years.
– Swarmers generally are produced from mature colonies.The objective of swarmers is to start a new colony
Subterranean termites treatment
There are many ways that you can do to kill Subterranean termites, using poisons or chemicals. In addition, you are highly recommended to ask for professional help control pests so that maximum results….